- 21 Jul 2020
Essential Things You Need to Start Modelling
While not everyone is going to be the next Gigi Hadid, the good news is that with the rise of social media and a trend towards more diversity in casting, there are plenty of modelling opportunities for a wide range of people who may want to give modelling a go.
Putting yourself out there may seem daunting at first, but with the right attitude and the right information, you're well on your way to landing your first modelling gig!
Read on to find out about the most important things you need to get in to modelling.
If you're starting out as a model, good quality photos are a must, but they don't have to be taken by a professional photographer. As long as your photos are in focus and clearly show what you look like, they'll be perfectly fine to add to your ModelFactory profile.
At a minimum, you will need to have:
- A nice, clear close-up of your face. Wear little or no makeup.
- A long, full body shot. Dress in simple, plain, close-fitting clothes like skinny jeans and a t-shirt.
Make sure your photos:
- Are recent.
- Are taken in natural light.
- Show you wearing simple, flattering clothes.
- Show your hair and face as natural as possible. The less makeup, the better.
- Show you as you really look. Don't retouch your photos. #NoFilter.
- Show what's unique about you.
2. The right attitude
If you've ever watched an episode of 'Next Top Model', you'll know that the prettiest girl isn't always the most successful. Becoming a model is about more than just smiling for the camera. Good looks will only take you so far, and at the end of the day your attitude is just – if not more – important.
Models who have these qualities will get more bookings:
- Able to take on feedback.
- Willing to work long and unusual hours.
- Mature and professional.
- Willing to dye and cut their hair.
- Confident and relaxed in front of the camera.
A great way to gain experience and build up a portfolio is to apply on ModelFactory. The photographer uses the shots to build up their portfolio and you get copies to use too – it's a win-win!